Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Diagnosis

I hardly know where to start. If you suffered through my very long last post, you know that my mother was admitted to the hospital a week ago in Little Rock. I stayed with her until Sunday evening, then had to head back home since my daughter started back to school on Monday. I kept in constant contact with my brother during the week and was very concerned to learn that the doctors were focusing an increased amount of attention on some abnormalities they had seen on her spine. By Thursday, they had done a CT, MRI and finally a bone biopsy. I knew in my heart they were looking for cancer and made plans to travel back to Little Rock on Thursday evening. By the following morning, my brother and I had each cornered her doctor privately who had confirmed our suspicions. We agreed to meet with Mom and Dad Friday afternoon so he could break the news to them. My heart was breaking in two as the three of us entered her room. I knew what he was about to tell them would break their hearts, too, and was going to come as a complete shock.

It was awful.

I have started another blog, Jewell's Updates, where I will focus on the more medical aspects of her surgery, treatment, recovery, etc. This site, Potter Place, will be a reflection of my personal journey from a daughter's point of view. I hope that the things I experience and lessons learned as we fight another battle against cancer can encourage someone else who may be going through the same thing.

Please pray for my family. We are eager to see how God wants to work in what appears to be a bad situation.

2 comments:

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

Praying that God would flood you with peace and hope and encouragement.

Mica said...

Hi Sheryl -

I am glad to be able to read about your mom's progress on her blog. However, I hate that after 14 years of friendship, we now have another thing in common - we blog about our moms' cancer. :-(

I think your mom is so blessed to have someone with your expertise as her advocate. Give her my best and know that I am praying for you and your family every minute. I hope you will find time to keep us updated ...

Hugs and prayers
Mica
Psalms 27:13