Wednesday, February 20, 2008

No Peanuts, Thanks. I'll Take a Valium Instead ...

It's been almost two weeks ago that my husband called home one morning with some news he was practically BURSTING to share.

"Okay, hon," he started. "Do I have ALL your attention?"

So excited was he that my first thought was that he had won the Powerball or something. But then I remember that he doesn't buy lottery tickets. A tax on people who are really bad at math, he calls them. And just in case I haven't mentioned it before, Hubs is really bad at math.

But I digress ..

"Yeah, you have it all," I replied. "What's up?"

In a nutshell, his new employer is sending him to some training in Orlando, and they are encouraging him and his coworker to take their families along, since the hotel where the training will be held is practically on Disney property.

My initial enthusiasm was quickly followed by a near panic attack as I realized that my plans to drive there had already been foiled. We're flying, I was told.

Yikes. I haven't been on an airplane in so long I'm embarrassed to say. Certainly not since 9/11. I always did okay on airplanes when I was younger, but it's different now. I'm a momma of three, and there are crazies in this world who think it's noble to take over American planes and crash land them into buildings.

I know, I know ... safety measures have been put into place since then that make it nigh near impossible to board a plane with anything besides the clothes on your body and possibly a toothbrush in a carry-on if you're very lucky, but still.

I'm a worrier, and what makes this even worse is that my primary means of destressing (knitting and crocheting) will not help me at all seeing as how they're not about to let me board a plane with needles of any sort.

Since Hubs is a certified, card-carrying officer of the law, I thought perhaps he might be allowed to board with his weapon concealed. But no. The Airline Nazis don't allow that either.

I don't want to sound prejudiced or anything, but I'm just giving my family fair warning right now that if there is ANYONE on that plane that looks the slightest bit like a terrorist, I'm not flying. Unless they drug me first.

2 comments:

♥Lisa♥ @ FinalScore:Boys3Girls2 said...

I know exactly how you feel!! When i flew to see my mom in July with Abbie that was the 1st time i flew since i was pg with cody. Now my fear is heights (i get dizzy going to the second story in a home), not terrorism. Thankfully no one sat next to abbie and I because i had tears streaming down. My plane switched over in Dallas and I was VERY tempted to have Ben drive there and pic me up and take me home. If it was anyone but my mom that i was visiting, I would have. Well, several flights later, im an old pro and not nearly as bad as i was.

♥Lisa♥ @ FinalScore:Boys3Girls2 said...

oh, duh, hellooo, Yea for Disneyland!!!!!!!!! Umm... can your Dh's peeps call my Dh's peeps to get him in this class, LOL.