Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Dear Mom

Two years ago at this very moment, I was standing beside your hospital bed in Litttle Rock watching you take your last breaths here on this earth. I simply cannot believe that this much time has passed.

I have replayed those last hours at least a million times in my mind since you left us, and although it still hurts that you're not here, I now understand that you couldn't stay any longer, and I'm okay with that.

The kids and I talk about you all the time and speculate on how you and Aunt Mary are spending your time beyond the pearly gates. Just this morning as we walked to school, Big Sister wondered aloud if the two of you celebrated your birthdays at Luby's by sharing a dessert.

We will celebrate your birthday tomorrrow with one of your famous chocolate cakes and will send up a big bunch of balloons and sing Happy Birthday. I have to believe that you can hear us and that it makes you smile to know your special day is not forgotten.

Thanks once again for all the love you gave so freely and the wonderful memories you left us to remember. You will never be forgotten.

2 comments:

♥Lisa♥ @ FinalScore:Boys3Girls2 said...

((hugs)) Sheryl.
What a wonderful celebration you have planned for your mom tomorrow.

Angie said...

Sheryl,
I have been thinking about you and sending prayers up for you and your family. I hope you got my message. I loved reading your blog. I haven't gotten to "okay" yet-I don't think. I want the recipe for the cake by the way, I heard it was wonderful!
Angie