Friday, March 31, 2006

Singing The Friday Song

Another week is behind us, and the thought of a weekend has me singing The Friday Song at the top of my lungs. What is The Friday Song, you ask. It's an ever-changing, always-crazy ditty sung to the tune of "I've Been Working on the Railroad". It became a weekly tradition sometime earlier this school year when my kindergartener awoke one Friday morning in a sour frame of mind. She got up on the wrong side of the bed, my mother would have said.

After numerous failed attempts to lift her spirits, I began singing,

"I'm so happy that it's Friday,
I just want to sigh.
I'm so happy that it's Friday,
I think I'm gonna cry.

Can't you hear the weekend calling,
Sleeping in so late on Saturday morning?
I'm so happy that it's Friday,
Come along with me!

Dontcha wake me up,
Dontcha wake me up,
Dontcha wake me up in the morning!
Dontcha wake me up,
Dontcha wake me up,
Dontcha wake me up or you'll ____ (fill in the blank with some threat like "cry")


Within a few minutes, the tune caught on and both daughters were singing loudly with me and laughing every time I changed the lyrics slightly. We now race each other on Friday mornings to see who can start the song first and when a week has been particularly long and hard and we're exceptionally thrilled by the promise of two days off from work and school, we'll sing "our" song on the five-minute walk to school. We're not embarrassed to be joyful!

Here's to an awesome weekend for us all!

1 comment:

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

I love it! I think we'll use your song around here. :)